Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Edges rolling in on cardigan -- how to fix

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
koolsheep Posted - 01/19/2009 : 11:56:45 AM
I was going to post this as a question a few days ago, but have since come up with a solution, so I thought I would share it here.

I knitted the Chanel-ish Cardigan last year, and although it fits, and the yarn is soft and lovely, I was finding that I didnít wear it very often because the front edge was curling in and just didnít look well-finished. I had so much trouble with this cardigan, that I couldnít face the thought of ripping out the crab stitch and trying to pick the stitches up differently.

Finally, I had a brainwave: sew a piece of ribbon to the inside edge to stiffen up the fabric and force it to lay straight. And itís worked really well! (images here: http://knitblog.thefegelmans.com/?p=62 at the very bottom of the post).

Anyway, if you have any projects with this same issue, maybe this could be a solution for you.

Happy knitting :)

Karen
http://knitblog.thefegelmans.com
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sjanova Posted - 01/25/2009 : 8:56:11 PM
Wow, that jacket is gorgeous, just as it is. The fix worked perfectly. (I like those bears, too!)

sja
Punctuatedknitter Posted - 01/25/2009 : 6:10:18 PM
This is what I love about KR--learn something new all the time.
jdboysmom Posted - 01/25/2009 : 06:27:50 AM
Thanks Karen! I have a hoodie with the same problem. I bought a pretty contrasting ribbon, but wasn't sure if it would work and just sort of stuck it in a "later" box. I will dig it out tonight and get to work!
stitchmd Posted - 01/20/2009 : 06:01:03 AM
My aunt who taught me to knit put grosgrain in the front edges of all cardis, to support the button holes and buttons, besides giving the edge body. I still do it.

You can't have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
eldergirl Posted - 01/19/2009 : 7:22:00 PM
And grosgrain ribbon was used in careful couture finishing of edges, as well, in sewing.
And you unvented it for your lovely sweater!

Well done.

Anna
cpknits Posted - 01/19/2009 : 4:25:27 PM
Lovely jacket, it's on my list. This is one of my favorite patterns. I also liked the Bobbi Bears. My sister collects bears and I keep meaning to make one.

Carol, Wisconsin
lella Posted - 01/19/2009 : 12:55:29 PM
Terrific jacket. And yes, grosgrain ribbon was used a lot in days of yore, to make cardi's behave.

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.
Zippiknits
temari Posted - 01/19/2009 : 12:44:21 PM
That is a great solution and thank you for passing on the tip. Your jacket is beautiful - you did a great job. The stitching on your binding is so perfect - such even stitches!!

Carolyn
Solaris Posted - 01/19/2009 : 12:09:32 PM
The jacket looks great!
Thank you for the tip re. approach to the curling problem. I have a store bought cardi that curls at the edges just where the ribbing meets stockinette, so I'll try the ribbon treatment.

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe