Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 WHERE TO BUY A KNITTING JOURNAL?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
iamknittycat Posted - 01/08/2009 : 09:03:23 AM
Not sure what category my question falls into, so here's hoping someone will read this - - - I would LOVE a knitting journal/book - to keep a record of projects, yarns used, time spent, etc, etc, etc. I can't seem to find one on line, at my LYS,or on ETSY. If you have bought one lately, could you share "where"? Would love to hear your ideas - what do you use? Or don't you?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
bmayrose@hotmail.com Posted - 01/25/2009 : 10:02:13 PM
I haven't seen my favorite yet. It's rather low-tech, but I had two things in mind: something with rather sturdier pages so I could tape in yarn labels and even yarns if I wanted AND small enough to fit in the knitting bag so I don't neglect to write things down. In an office supply store I found a wire-bound pad of 3x5 index cards which is in a plastic case with stretchy closing-band. The backs of the index cards are blank for sketching.

If you do complicated sweaters, you probably need more room to record details. I tend like accessories, and I can go back to last year to see what wt yarn and what needles I used for my son's beanie hat (he's picky about how a hat fits) and so on. If I knit something from a pattern, I just record where the pattern was and my yarn, needles and modifications.

If I run across directions for a great decorative bind-off - I record it on a separate page to try out another time. Each time I start a new book, I copy my cheat sheet for Kitchener stitch on the last page!
KrazyKim Posted - 01/24/2009 : 12:47:03 AM
Last year, in the after-holidays 50% off section at Borders, I discovered a beautiful, hardbound calendar called "In Tune with Nature 2008 calendar". It's a tall, narrow volume that looks like a Victorian journal with a bird theme. The four seasons are divided with a full spread of beautiful photographed collages, scrapbook-style, made of old wallpaper samples, mother-of-pearl buttons, etc. There are quotations about birds at the bottom of the pages.

I loved the calendar so much that I had to buy it, even though I get a purse size calendar every year from Mobil/Exxon, so I really had no use for it as a calendar. I may eventually add paper tabs of some sort, but for now, I have randomly added titles (like scarves, socks, Xmas gifts, crochet, etc.) to the tops of pages. I've also discovered it's useful for keeping tracks of friends' birthdays, which I write in the margins near the dates.

And then, this year, I found they had made a 2009 calendar in TWO great styles. It was SOOO hard to choose just one. I ended up with another bird themed one, called "Nesting", but I had to give up the one with woodland ferns. Both were equally beautiful.

I also have three-ring binders in bright colors, where I keep plastic sleeves with patterns, catalog clippings (like Anthropologie clothing, pillows etc.) for inspiration. Green binders are for knitting, pinks are for crochet and freeform crochet, blues are for beading magazines (I have those three ring plastic bookmark thick things that have a long slot to slip your magazine through so you can file it in a binder), and in the red binders I keep my quarterly mailings I get from my Epiphyllum Society (I know, that's not knitting!).

And in my iPhone, I have note pages titled "Socks", "Knitting", "Books" etc. That's where I jot notes on the go. I think I can add to those pages indefinitely, but I may end up copying those notes into my journal one of these days, if I can tear myself away from the knitting long enough!

Kim, Playa del Rey, CA

P.S. Treefeathers, your daughter's handmade journals (on Etsy) are beautiful!
helenstone Posted - 01/22/2009 : 7:13:53 PM
About 5 years ago, I wanted to find a pattern for a baby bunting I made for my son, using cables and seed stitch. I could not find it anywhere. I was pretty busy with three boys ages 5 and under and now that son is 25. A few years ago I began keeping a 3" ringed notebook filled with the knitting projects I have completed. It includes a copy of the directions that I scanned into the computer, digital photos of the finished projects, labels from the yarn used. On the sheets I wrote the dates made and completed, as well as who it was for. More importantly I wrote notes on the directions where I increased, what I liked/disliked about the pattern or yarn. I have stapled the swatches and glued the yarn labels there also. I keep another notebook of patterns, particularly the ones I am planning on making. While working with the copies of patterns I keep the pattern in a plastic sleeve. Hope this helps.
jgetha Posted - 01/22/2009 : 7:00:49 PM
Would love to hear your ideas - what do you use? Or don't you?

I got mine at a Barnes and Noble about a year ago. When they first came out a few years back, money was very tight, and I looked at one and thought "That's a lot of money for a blank book." But they are much more than a blank book. They are absolutely perfect for recording the important things about each project. I love, love, love mine and wish I had bought it years ago.

Joy in Colorado
anderknit Posted - 01/22/2009 : 4:07:36 PM
Have any of you ever ordered a notebook from Shutterfly? Right now they are about $10. Spiral bound, 200 pages (lined or unlined), tons of different cover backgrounds from which to choose, and space for your text and photo(s) on the cover. I have never ordered anything from them, but someone with whom I work gets calendars and photo books all the time and is very happy with the product. I fooled around with it today and ALMOST ordered a notebook, but didn't pull the trigger.

http://tinyurl.com/dnao99

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Terri Posted - 01/22/2009 : 2:43:04 PM
I keep a journal of finished projects in a ring binder. I made a format to record the information I want to keep and print it out on cardstock. The page has a pocket with my gauge sample in it and the tattered copy of the pattern that I used as working copy. I staple a paper band off the yarn or yarns that I used plus some yarn samples. This all has been a great help when I wonder what I did years later. I often knit copies, in a different size for a grandchild or a different yarn or color and these notes have been invaluable.
stellal Posted - 01/22/2009 : 12:03:40 PM
I use a blank journal with lined or squared paper or visual diary with blank pages (these are sold for artists to draw in). I head up a page with the project, the details and the start date, and just track what I'm doing, the rows, the charts get copied and pasted in, progress shots I take for my blog get printed and pasted in, frogging gets recorded, planning, swatching --- measurements, calcs all there. Once or twice I've been asked for detailed instructions for how I modified things - and I've been able to either make my rushed notes more suitable for some one else to follow, or just copy/scan and send. I also past in images that inspire me, and samples of yarn and ball bands ... and photos of my finished objects. I draw plans for new designs, with all their variations and makes notes about what I like and dont. In the back i past my curent favourite workings for modular knitting projects (I like April's fish blanket) and washcloths. There are also pages where I plan projects (some times the best part) - but never knit them. Most projects go over one page, some are 3 or 5, I have no problem skipping another project and continuing the notes for a project a few pages - latter. That is the price for having multiple WIP's. Ravlery and the blog - well the are kind like a journal- but I like the portability of my workbook, and the intimacy of flicking back and seeing. Often at workshops and knit camps - my work book is admired and does a round of the table as people look thru what I've knit and what I've noted down.

I highly recommend it - but don't buy a formulaic book - try one with blank pages and just fill it as you work.

Stella
I don't spend nearly enough time knitting. I don't have nearly enough yarn stashed for the future. My knit to frog ratio is around 2:1 and on show here www.Knitknitfrog.blogspot.com
where I even video my knitting!
jinniver Posted - 01/22/2009 : 11:26:19 AM
I should have never, never read this topic. Now I want all of the knitting journals.

I love the idea of having an actual journal where I could hand write notes and attach pictures cut from magazines, or bits of the yarn I used. I could keep them all on a shelf and some day my great-great-granddaughter would open them up and sit for quiet hours paging through them and touching some of the swatches I'd knit up...

Then I wake up from this wonderful daydream, look at the stack of journals I've bought to document other things (yes, I see you there, quilting journal!) that are all still blank...and pick up my laptop. Ravelry and my blog certainly don't have the same romantic meaning to me as a hand written knitting journal would, but I actually use them.

So why I am thinking about going back through this topic and researching the various knitting journals referenced? Must...resist...

Jen (jinniver on Ravelry)
My blog: The Sarah Winchester of Fiber Arts
senorasb@yahoo.com Posted - 01/22/2009 : 10:46:33 AM
I have a small journal with a very bold cover(hard to lose) which I use for beading, knitting and origami. I have to flip through it to find what I need, but I don't mind.
dixonpa@cebridge.net Posted - 01/22/2009 : 10:32:39 AM
Let's be thirfy, save your money for yarn..go to your nearest Walmart, pickup a spiral note book in various sizes...small ones are good for your knitting bag.. you don't have to be perfect when keeping notes or drawings..Let someone buy you a hard bound one for a gift..
quote:
Originally posted by noallatin

According to author Debbie Macomber, http://www.debbiemacomber.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=knitting&pageID=34 you can get knitting journals at the sites listed at the bottom of the page.

I think I've seen one in the craft section of Barnes & Noble as well.

kim in michigan Posted - 01/22/2009 : 08:55:44 AM
Like Aknitster, I use a 3-ring binder for flexibility. Well, I USED to use it before Ravelry. It is sadly neglected now.

And, Cwaigner, OMG, thanks for pointing out that we could download our stash from Ravelry! I never noticed that was there...awesome.

Kim Smith, just north of Detroit
mammadonna Posted - 01/22/2009 : 08:01:25 AM
I bought 'My Knitting Journal' at JoAnn's. It's a spiralbound book with some basic knitting know how, a few patterns and of course many pages to document your work. It's a beautiful and I love it! When it's full I will create my own book using this one a guide.
TravelMadeline@aol.com Posted - 01/22/2009 : 07:50:49 AM
I use the free knitting journal template pages designed by Kathryn Ivy
http://kathrynivy.com/patterns/extras/knitting-journal/

Her other free templates pages include: crochet journal, what you have waiting in line, what's in your stash, what you'd like to make, needle inventory, notes, idea design page, and graph paper, all as PDF files.

I love the way they look.

Confession here -- I usually print out stuff like this then never get around to using it. A few months later, I'll try another system.
cwaigner Posted - 01/22/2009 : 07:47:53 AM
I have a spiral bound knitting journal purchased through Crafter's Choice. It has a few preprinted pages for needle inventory, LYS info, and family members' measurements. I keep a list of FOs by year, handwritten basic patterns that I make frequently (socks, mittens, wristers), my family's measurements, and especially foot lengths for everyone I have knit socks for, because you never know when you'll want to whip up a pair. There are taped-in pieces of graph paper with small Fair isle or cable patterns copied from a magazine --- don't want to go looking when a mitten cries out for some color work. So it has become more of a personal knitting resource than a simple record of what I've done. This journal has lasted me four years, and I have a Schoolhouse Press journal for my spinning as well.

I tend to make notations re pattern modifications on the pattern itself, which I keep in clear page protectors in ring binders, just like at the LYS. I keep my stash inventory on Ravelry but also use the download function to update a spread sheet on my own laptop, just in case. Same with my projects, and all the photos are in my laptop as well, to safeguard against online loss as some have mentioned.

Just as an individual's personal journal would be different, I expect each knitter's journal would reflect their personal way of looking at their craft.

Carol in N Waldoboro ME
treefeathers Posted - 01/22/2009 : 07:01:50 AM
I use a fabulous, convenient and adaptable knitting journal made by my talented daughter! See her journals (especially the ones with sheep on the front) at www.storybookproductions.etsy.com.
aknitster Posted - 01/22/2009 : 06:51:17 AM
I prefer the flexibility of a 3-ring binder. My favorite patterns are kept there, each in a sheet protector along with any notes I made while knitting the project, the yarn label, the swatch, a photo of the finished project, whom I made the item for, and the date. It's great! If I want to knit a pattern, I just slip it out of the sheet protector or take the sheet protector out of the binder and I'm ready to go. If I need to refer back to a pattern to see exactly what I did, it's all right there. The flexibilty is what is so desirable for me. The ability to move things around (put all the sock patterns together, for example) and add to or remove things is a great feature.
Susan1006 Posted - 01/22/2009 : 06:09:01 AM
I am intimidated by special journals and so I just keep a spiral bound notebook where I make a note of EVERYTHING I cast on. What it is supposed to end up being, pattern name if I know it, size of needles, yarn, no. of stitches, etc. Then I date it and then I write "frogged" and why, if it doesn't work out. Takes only a few minutes, and lets me know lots about my improvement as a knitter, and what has worked and what hasn't. Plus, sometimes, I get to write "finished" and the date. I also write things like "never use this yarn again", or "what a nice pattern", or "I changed to size 6 needles after the third increase", blah, blah, blah. It's a personal notebook and I have found it invaluable. I make "official" notes on the right hand side, and add comments on the left facing page. Just my two cents.

Knit on with confidence and hope through all crises. EZ
ozknitter Posted - 01/21/2009 : 6:23:49 PM
There is an English magazine called Simply Knitting and in their December issue No. 48, they are giving away as a free gift a knitting diary, its quite good, maybe that's worth a look.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose
GFTC Posted - 01/19/2009 : 11:21:02 AM
quote:
Originally posted by abt1950

Not sure I'd trust any online source as a permanent way of keeping track of projects. Stuff happens to online sites.

That's for sure and that's why I still use Knitable along with Ravelry.
Also, Knitable is in my pocketbook
when I'm out and the instant info has many times
prevented me from buying needles or patterns that I already own.

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr
lella Posted - 01/19/2009 : 10:38:26 AM
I agree with Anne. I'll use Ravelry and Flickr but will make my own discs of anything up on them. I've been around the internet to know that she's right. My own experience taught me that Yahoo didn't last forever as an owner of a photo wrangling site, nor did their policies or partnerships at flickr.

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.
Zippiknits

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe