Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 How is Your Yarn Diet/Knit from Stash going?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
kbshee Posted - 01/21/2007 : 12:07:13 PM
Three weeks into the New Year, I thought I'd check in and see how those of us who are trying to reduce our stashes a bit are doing.

I've knit more than a dozen stash balls, I only succumbed to one sale: the Ram Wools 30% off sale, and I've only bought sock yarn which as we know doesn't count.

(If Ram Wools still had Sea Silk in stock, though, I couldn't be writing that).

I have printed out several sleeveless tank/shell patterns to use up my cotton ease stash...yes, I'm thinking spring and summer knitting!

So while I'm not perfect, I feel that I've really made an effort to lessen the stash. How are you doing?

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
starfire385 Posted - 03/30/2007 : 07:20:35 AM
:( I fell off the wagon. For my bookdiet, I fell off twice, one for fitted knits and then again for no sheep for you. Then, when I saw the tuscany shawl in no sheep for you I knew I had to knit it, so I just ordered three skeins of silken in the paris colorway. However, I did finish a misty garden scarf in stash yarn (caron simply soft acrylic, the pattern actually changed and opened up after washing) 2 washclothes out of the peaches and cream stash, and I am working on a baby blanket with two balls of bernat baby stripes or something like that someone gave to me. So i guess I am not doing too badly. *gets back on the wagon*
LadySpring Posted - 03/24/2007 : 4:15:01 PM
I still haven't bought any yarn (since 09/06) and, although I feel good about it, I want to get some more yarn. I am working on a shortie jacket in cotton, a mohair lace shawl, and a pair of ruffle-butt boyshorties in cotton. I made a green earflap hat, a pair of mohair handwarmers, and I just have to sew up another pair of handwarmers (alpaca & wool). All in all, I've probably only knocked out 6 or 7 balls of yarn so far...Sheesh. I need to knit more quickly. After I sell the shortie jacket and the ruffle-butt boyshorties, I may be able to get some new yarn...maybe. But I must say, knitting only from my stash has forced me to be more creative and I like that.

Knittin' harmony,
Erika

Knitters know a good yarn or two..
My blog: http://writetoknit.blogspot.com/
calicokitty6 Posted - 03/24/2007 : 3:18:38 PM
My food diet is going o.k., but the yarn diet is having many detours. I went to the knitter's breakfast at the beginning of the month,and only bought 4 items, 2 of which I ended up returning. I only kept the 3 skeins of Malabrigo yarn and the tape measure. Needles were the wrong size and were never going to work for the pattern I wanted to use them for. I didn't care for the book I bought, so it went back.

Well, that one allowed shopping trip seems to have opened the flood gates!

Last week I purchased 3 skeins of handpainted yarn on eBay. These are to be a Moebius with matching socks, a shawl, and a different pair of socks. Thursday I mentioned to DH that I wish I had got one more of two of the colors for the shawl and Moebius, so he encouraged me to get them. Did that plus 2 other skeins in yummy shades for socks. Yesterday I ordered a bunch of stuff from Knitpicks. Then I jumped over to check out Crafter's Choice after getting another reminder in my mailbox about the 40% off publisher's prices sale they were having. This resulted in 4 books - 2 knitting, 1 stained glass, and 1 stained glass jewelry.Last Wednesday I learned a local shop, "A Stitch Above" in Providence was closing on March 30th. DH took me there today and I only got one thing. I bought "Victorian Lace Today" at 40% off (less than $20).

I swear I need to block my ears and put on blinders if anything yarn/fiber related comes within 100 feet of me. lol

=^..^= Debbie http://calicokitty6.blogspot.com
Kipster Posted - 03/24/2007 : 1:36:47 PM
I think I'm about to fall off the wagon. Went to School Products on Thursday (en route to the Yarn Harlot book launch at FIT), and discovered that Karabella just came out with a lace-weight merino. OH MY! It is beyond lucious! Two colors "spoke" to me--a very deep rose/red and a gunmetal gray. I didn't buy any.

However,on Tuesday, I'm going to be walking right past School Products again. Already I can hear the lace-weight merino calling out to me. Must be strong--must resist!

Mary
http://snitnknit.blogspot.com/
scraffan Posted - 03/24/2007 : 12:52:31 PM
I fell off the wagon. Started with buying three skeins of Peaches and Cream to try and design a washcloth.
I have the pattern charted out but I have to get back on actually making the yarn work up the way I want it to.
Bought more fiber for a KAL.
On top of that bought two knitting magazines and in a matter of five weeks I will be going to the CT Wool and Fiber Fest. So it is aalmost written in stone that I will be buying either kits or hanks there.

What do I need to do to get back on the wagon?

I was doing so good up until I crashed.
Karen

07 finished projects
3 dishcloths from stash
2 premie blankets from stash
1 designed/knitted/felted purse
1 vest
1 pair of gloves
starfire385 Posted - 03/24/2007 : 12:28:02 PM
I'm doing alright, I still haven't bought any yarn since i officially joined the stash diet. However, I've been on a book diet for a few months, and thursday I fell off the wagon and bought fitted knits by stephanie japel. it was so good I couldn't resist! I'm hoping to redeem myself by using stash yarn to knit something out of it. :)
ShannonM Posted - 03/23/2007 : 11:26:11 AM
I was doing beautifully - no new yarn since the end of the year - until I saw the big sale at knit happens. Oops. I'm a sucker for a bargain. Time to start again.

Shannon
KathyinCali Posted - 03/23/2007 : 08:24:02 AM
I haven't been doing well on my diet at all. I've finally stopped stopping by my LYS on my way home every other day which I thought was a big improvement but then realized I was just ordering on line instead. Now that my one mission is to knit socks this year, I've calmed down a bit...One day at a time.

Kathy

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away". Author - ?
Ditzy Girl Posted - 03/23/2007 : 07:38:27 AM
Well I HAD TO buy some yarn. I had yarn in my stash for a sweater but when I swatch it up the yarn died and the pattern went flat as a pancake, so I bought the Rowan Wool DK from Elann in a beautiful silver/grey and I am now happily swatching away. I will bag up the stash yarn and take to lys where they donate to a local womens shelter. The stash yarn was not cheap and I have never had yarn do that before. It was nice to knit with but just looked ugly. I have 25 balls of it so maybe someone could use it for something. Other than that I have been using stash, but have nothing finished, 6 on needles and still plenty of stash to go. Also finished with a second sock that has been on the needles forever, so within a week I will have a pair of socks. In the meantime I have also been spending money on books. The Japanese Pattern books have me hooked. Then I had to buy 2 how to read the symbols books. There how to books are great better than the American how tos at least for me.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

procrastiknitter Posted - 03/22/2007 : 10:19:29 PM
I feel a need to 'fess up to having bought 2 more skeins of sock yarn that I forgot to report. Ugh... I also have my knitting materials in such a mess that I think I have misplaced a sock, or have knit 3 socks out of 2 skeins and have a third skein kicking around somewhere. Meanwhile, I have yet to weave in the ends on two pairs that I could be wearing right now. I'm a basketcase. Must start at least one sweater this weekend.

Can you imagine a world without rhetorical questions?
glccafar Posted - 03/22/2007 : 7:30:36 PM
Um, have y'all seen the sale going on at Knit Happens?
Kersplat! I just fell off the wagon. Hard. (It's a great sale, and I was having a very bad day.)

2 Misti Alpaca Chunky (Natural Beige)
7 Rowan Kidsilk Night (Dazzle)
1 Eyelet Baby Blanket ()
1 Bobbi Bear ()
1 Regia Jubilee Sock (Antigua)
1 Regia Jubilee Sock (Paris)
12 Mission Falls 1824 Wool (Pistachio)

It was so cheap... I nearly got about 20 other balls too... But had to stop myself...
Yikes...

2007 FOs: 2 adult hats, 2 baby bibs, 1 baby booga bag, 2 baby hats, 1 child's shawl, 1 cowl
Yarn used in 2007 FOs: 12 balls
Yarn purchased in 2007: 23 balls
YarnAndCoffee Posted - 03/22/2007 : 07:26:12 AM
I am feeling pretty proud of myself. Since New Year's I've lost almost 10 pounds and have really slowed my yarn buying. I'm using up 7 hefty skeins quickly with my Colinette AbFab throw and finished a stole and some socks and a sweater coat made with 29 skeins of super bulky (talk about churning through that stash!) so progress is being made. With the calorie dieting, the trick was not to bring the food home from the grocery store so that I won't be tempted -- and with yarn the trick seems to be to just NOT CLICK on yarn-related links, avoid eBay like the plague, and turn down offers to "swing by" the LYS.

-Elizabeth in Alabama
AuntyNin Posted - 03/22/2007 : 06:26:44 AM
Temptations abound, but thus far I've been able to resist and continue knitting out of what's already in the stash. My most recent purchase of yarn was back in January, and my goal is to resist buying any more until I hit the first shore excursion on the SeaSocks cruise. The two yarn store visits planned for SeaSocks (one in the San Francisco area, one in Victoria, BC) are opportunities for stash enhancement that I won't pass up, especially if I can get my hands on yarns that aren't available in my local area.

What's been more problematic for me is the arrival of the arch-enemy, the one the Harlot calls Startitis. The urge to cast on about a gazillion new projects, regardless of the ones languishing for lack of time to knit, is becoming quite strong. It's the change of season, the disappearance of the snow piles and the emergence of buds on the forsythia bushes that does this to me. Does it every year. Startitis manages to overwhelm me sooner or later, too.

As the Vogon guard used to bellow, "Resistance is Useless!"

AuntyNin

Everything happens for a reason, except possibly football. --- Terry Pratchett

http://home.earthlink.net/~lradiga1/
procrastiknitter Posted - 03/21/2007 : 11:05:24 PM
On the plus side, I turned 2 balls of stash into afghan squares last week. I then bought 2 balls for a baby sweater [almost done], and a hank of sock yarn. Sure, it doesn't count as stash, but I still haven't started my sweaters. I keep saying that I'll do the Cowichan this weekend, but I say that every week!By Friday I'll be done the baby sweater and a pair of socks, but I need to get over my fear of sweaters, already! he temperature is threatening to crack zero!

Can you imagine a world without rhetorical questions?
glccafar Posted - 03/21/2007 : 9:07:24 PM
Still hanging on to the wagon (it's been getting harder of late). Since my last post, I've finished another baby bib (Petal from One Skein) and baby hat (Umbilical cord). I'm still working on the baby blanket (Chevron from LMKG in STR), among other projects.

2007 FOs: 2 adult hats, 2 baby bibs, 1 baby booga bag, 2 baby hats, 1 child's shawl, 1 cowl
Yarn used in 2007 FOs: 12 balls
Yarn purchased in 2007: 0 balls
glccafar Posted - 03/10/2007 : 3:47:23 PM
I still on the wagon, though I've been tempted a few times. Since my last post, I've finished one baby bib (Mason Dixon), am nearly done with another (Petal from One Skein), and have begun a baby hat (Umbilical cord) and baby blanket (Chevron from LMKG in STR), all from stash yarn.

2007 FOs: 2 adult hats, 1 baby bib, 1 baby booga bag, 1 baby hat, 1 child's shawl, 1 cowl
Yarn used in 2007 FOs: 10.5 balls
Yarn purchased in 2007: 0 balls
minh Posted - 03/10/2007 : 12:07:35 PM
Knitting Wounded, I loved your stashinomics post (I do the same on my Excel spreadsheet ever since I started my yarn diet). That lace shawl will be gorgeous for the wedding :)

http://minkyknits.blogspot.com
knitting_wounded Posted - 03/10/2007 : 10:02:41 AM
I bought 5 balls of Rowan CashSoft Baby DK for my birthday, and that has been pretty much it. I have not been very strict in my diet, but other than my birthday prezzie, I've only been picking up yarn to finish up specific projects that utilize more of my stash than what I'm getting.

I have a post on "Stashinomics" on my blog if anyone's interested:

Check out the Knitting Wounded Tent: http://knittingwounded.blogspot.com
jennaknits Posted - 03/10/2007 : 09:41:10 AM
An interesting combination of crappy and awesome. I'm working on a sweater from yarn I stashed 2 years ago, but also bought some stuff I'll either never use or didn't really need. Making some socks as I type out of a recent acquisition, ignoring the sock yarn I already had. I'd call myself a bad girl but my socks are going to be AWESOME.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wooly_mammoth
Ditzy Girl Posted - 03/10/2007 : 08:22:32 AM
Knitting from stash here. I haven't even spent my Xmas gift certificate. I am saving it for something very special to treat myself with.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.64 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe