Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Knitting Obsession - is there a cure?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
bookfaery Posted - 01/16/2007 : 1:45:00 PM
After years and years of crocheting and saying, "Oh no, I don't knit", I picked up the needles last March, determined to learn. Fast forward 10 months. I have a growing yarn stash, library of knitting books and collection of needles. I have a bunch of FOs under my belt. I've conquered the scariness that is DPNs. I've drooled over sock yarn, alpaca/silk, and cashmere. I want to own an alpaca. I know how to pronounce qiviut.

I spend loads of time online, reading knitting forums (like this one!) and knitting blogs and looking at pretty yarn and researching patterns. I have at least six UFOs on the needles as we speak. I wake up thinking about knitting. I DREAM about knitting. I think I might have a ... problem.

I was out of work on mental health leave (literally) in November and December. Needless to say, knitting took up a fair amount of my time. Now that I'm back at work, I find myself wishing I didn't have to work anymore, so I could spend more time knitting.

Good grief, this knitting obsession is madness!! Does it get better? Or only worse? And here's the interesting thing ... I was never, NEVER this obsessed about crocheting, although I do enjoy it.

I think I want to trade in my brand-new librarian degree for a couple of alpacas ...

[:00]
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Trina Posted - 01/26/2007 : 06:55:58 AM
I am totally obsessed & addicted & I don't want to be cured.... EVER!

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly.
-Langston Hughes
knitting_wounded Posted - 01/25/2007 : 9:30:46 PM
Knitting is pretty beneficial as addictions go. Just as long as you're still paying your bills and taking care of normal life, you'll be fine. Too much of anything can be bad, but don't feel guilty for taking pleasure out of your knitting!

Check out the Knitting Wounded Tent: http://knittingwounded.blogspot.com
clarinch1999 Posted - 01/25/2007 : 10:29:01 AM
And think of all the subaddictions possible. I was consumed with socks for a while, now I'm addicted to AS fair isle, completed one in less than 2 months. The darn job keeps getting in the way!
busypainter Posted - 01/24/2007 : 5:52:12 PM
Knitting has been a cure for me for a good many years. It has calmed me down in times of need and pepped me up when I needed that too.
All the gorgeous yarns and wonderful new books with all the gorgeous patterns, that I cannot stop even if I wanted to. Of course you have to have them all. Even the new needles you have got to try.

Knitting lace and loving it!
scraffan Posted - 01/20/2007 : 7:41:32 PM
My addiction or highly preoccupied knitting won't stop any time soon. Only now my knitting has slowed as I occassionally try to design patterns as well as knit..Then again without designs and patterns I would not be able to knit so I guess this is a good way to take a slight break from knitting but still do KNITTING related things...
scraffan
WendyB Posted - 01/20/2007 : 12:42:03 PM
My addiction can't stop until I use up my stash, and that will never happen.

WendyB
passioKnit Posted - 01/20/2007 : 11:44:04 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Margie

I agree with others -- who wants a cure? Not I! Today was a stay at home, sit, knit, and read day.

Housework can wait. I mean, what's important in our lives?

Margie

Silly Cone Valley, CA
I live in a crazy place -- I fit right in

This is my first post, I had to say "my thoughts EXACTLY" (although lately I have been listening to audiobooks and podcasts instead of reading - easier to knit that way!)

I'm a silicon valley girl, too.
LearnedInGirlScouts Posted - 01/20/2007 : 10:24:27 AM
quote:
Originally posted by elkymama

I'm wondering why it took me 40 years to become highly preoccupied with knitting. I learned when I was a kid, took it up again at age 15, then abandoned it until I was 35-40, then lost interest for 15 years, then last year, I rediscovered knitting and have knit almost every day since. Now that I've become half-way good at knitting, I finally enjoy it.

An interesting time-line. When people ask me how long I've been knitting, I answer "Altogether, or just this time?". Like elkymama, I started as a child (in Girl Scouts); picked up again in my early 20's, set aside for years, picked up again about 12 years ago, left it again with an almost finished Lopi cardigan in a Rubbermaid tote. Problems with the sleeve length that I wasn't skilled enough to fix and was not about to rip back 3/4 of the sweater to fix. Picked up again a few years ago and have been knitting obsessively ever since. This time I actually feel like a good knitter. [and I did finally fix that Lopi sweater, without ripping it back: and am so glad it's cold now in Ohio so I can wear it!
mo Posted - 01/19/2007 : 8:59:22 PM
Sally P you are so right!! everything in moderation--and Barbaydos--thanks for the realistic advice. I want knitting to be part of my everyday (kind of like a good red wine--for the antioxidants of course) but now realize if I don;t monitor my time I won't be able to knit at all in the future. I now know that after a knitting marathon recently. but rest has helped and I look forward to picking up my sticks again after a 4 day dry spell. I KNOW I am missing the stress-relieving and meditative aspect. So happens my LYS is having a seminar this weekend on hand and arm health and I hope to attend. Here's to a healthy addiction but be careful out there.
ctaft Posted - 01/19/2007 : 3:44:29 PM
Coming to us for advice on how to quit the knitting obsession is like going to a bar for advice on how to quit drinking! You can talk to people while you knit, you don't get stupid or rude, hey just relax and go with it.

[quote]Originally posted by bookfaery

After years and years of crocheting and saying, "Oh no, I don't knit", I picked up the needles last March, determined to learn. Fast forward 10 months. I have a growing yarn stash, library of knitting books and collection of needles. I have a bunch of FOs under my belt. I've conquered the scariness that is DPNs. I've drooled over sock yarn, alpaca/silk, and cashmere. I want to own an alpaca. I know how to pronounce qiviut.
riakat Posted - 01/19/2007 : 3:40:26 PM
After several harried and stressful weeks in Dec. (you know...shopping, getting house ready for house guests, Xmas play at my school, Xmas dinner prep etc. etc. etc.) I stopped knitting for awhile. BIG MISTAKE! When my wise beyond her years 8 year daughter turned and said to me one day..."You know Mom, I'll bet knitting would help your stress." After that I made sure I had some knitting time (even though it was small) EVERY day and I can't believe how my outlook changed. It's definitely yoga for the mind for me! Now I tell people my knitting obsession is an important part of my health plan!!
kentuckyprrlgrrl Posted - 01/19/2007 : 08:50:43 AM
Hmmmm....I hope not....but let me sit here and knit a bit more and think it over.... ;-)

Ky Prrl Grrl

Step away from the bubble wrap and no one gets hurt!
queen of the east Posted - 01/19/2007 : 08:37:15 AM
Well said bearknitter! If I stopped knitting I would not regard it as being cured but as punishment.

Ann in Montreal
rchapin_38@netzero.com Posted - 01/19/2007 : 08:15:16 AM
I hope there is no cure for the knitting fever!!!! I started knitting because of a need to use all the yarn I was spinning; with so many sheep my stash just kept growing. I liked crocheting but liked the knitted fabric better. And as an added bonus I've met so many nice friends. After all the farm chores it is so nice to sit and knit and relax.

Sharry Bone/Westfarthing Farm Sheep and Wool

Sharon L Bone
SallyP Posted - 01/19/2007 : 08:04:14 AM
I spent the month of November knitting a sweater out of a beautiful Mountain Colors yarn. I had successfully designed and knitted a tank top last summer so I tried designing again--I was absolutely driven to finish and see the result to the neglect of nearly everything else. Well, the fit was a disaster and I knew it was a failure immediately and the next day ripped it out. I learned a lot about fit but also how I don't want knitting to totally take over. I sat too much, didn't exercise, barely cleaned house or cooked. Not only did I have a failed project but also a life to put back together. I am an empty nester who has resolved to impose some knitting discipline into my life. There is some wisdom to "all things in moderation". We'll see how long it lasts!
barbaydos@aol.com Posted - 01/19/2007 : 07:59:22 AM
Yes,arthritis in hands is a major problem. What I do is exercise my hands with a soft ball. But, the most important thing is not to knit for hours. I do a couple of rows or knit for 20 minutes stop, flex hands. Its very frustrating. I have also started using wooden needles. They really help.
Good luck and keep knitting.
Rosanne
mo Posted - 01/18/2007 : 8:42:11 PM
did't realize how much knitting had become part of my life till recently. Freak tweek of my hand aggravated osteoarthritis that I didn't realize I had. need encouragement/ideas from other addicts re: how others have dealt with this. I can't help but think this is common???
elkymama Posted - 01/18/2007 : 8:15:17 PM
I'm wondering why it took me 40 years to become highly preoccupied with knitting. I learned when I was a kid, took it up again at age 15, then abandoned it until I was 35-40, then lost interest for 15 years, then last year, I rediscovered knitting and have knit almost every day since. Now that I've become half-way good at knitting, I finally enjoy it.

I find similarities between knitting and meditation -- both use repetition to focus and quiet the mind. At times it can be relaxing, but more often I find it mentally invigorating.
scraffan Posted - 01/18/2007 : 6:52:03 PM
to quote the Yarn Harlot, "I am not addicted to knitting. Just highly preoccupied."
Knitting is a good way for me to relax, especially after trying to do the jobs of two to three poeple in one day!
Knitting alsp gives me something to so when I cannot find something to watch on tv, when I have replied to all posts, emails that are of interest to me..
When I am not knitting I am attempting to design.
I tried spinning and well I let someone do that for me. I think I have enough on my plate now..
scraffan
bearknitter Posted - 01/18/2007 : 09:39:00 AM
Knitting is the cure. If only all world leaders were required to knit! How much more peaceful the world would be. . .

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe