Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Adapting Fair Isle to a sweater

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JudithConnelly Posted - 02/25/2009 : 09:36:03 AM
Hello,
I am currently knitting a sweater that does not have a fair isle pattern. However, I want to incorporate a fair isle pattern into my sweater. I am perplexed as to how I go about doing it. For example, say I want to put a fair isle yolk or any other place. How do I do it?
Thank you for any help anyone can give. I greatly appreciate it :)
Judith

Judith Connelly
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
DebbiOH Posted - 03/02/2009 : 03:28:28 AM
I have used Excel spreadsheets before when trying to figure out pattern and color ways. Of course the colors in the spreadsheet never truely match my project but you can work it so that it's a good replica. I also liked the spreadsheet because I didn't have to keep counting all the time. The spreadsheet did all the work for me.

~Debbi~NW Ohio
jgetha Posted - 02/26/2009 : 7:05:49 PM
I cannot recommend highly enough The Art of Fair Isle Knitting. Amazon has it on sale for less than $20. You might be able to find it to check out at your public library.

For a very basic treatment on incorporating simple color designs in knitting, see Elizabeth Zimmerman's Knitting Workshop.
JudithConnelly Posted - 02/25/2009 : 09:49:27 AM
Thank you very much. I will try that now and see how it all comes out. Your a true blessing.

Judith Connelly
socks4all Posted - 02/25/2009 : 09:45:53 AM
When I want to add a fair isle design I make an outline on graph paper of the width/length of the piece the fair isle will be inserted into. Each square of the graph pater represents one stitch of one row. If I have a design that's already charted, I play around with centering that design onto the graph paper within my outline. If I am creating my own design I locate the center both horzontially and vertically and work out from there.

Note from experience. If you have both fair isle areas and single coloured areas do a swatch for both. Fair isle tends to be more compact, especially in the stitch count. Nothing looks worse than puckers above and below your fair isle design, let alone haveing a band that is so tight you can't get it on.

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe