Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Seeking Advice about Yarns
 Need shiny gold yarn

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ikkivan Posted - 09/15/2012 : 2:49:41 PM
Does anyone have a recommendation for a metallic-gold yarn in a sport weight (or one that can be doubled to make sport weight, if needed) that is halfway easy with which to knit? I am making a bunch of those Christmas balls (the Arne and Carlos book) and would really like to knit a bit of "tinsel" into some of them.

I could not find the gold yarn mentioned in the book, so bought some Lane Borgosesia "Torreador" (64% viscose, 36% rayon) that I found on e-Bay. It's really gorgeous stuff, but it is making me crazy and I gave up trying to knit with it. I wound two balls together to make it similar in weight to the wool sport yarn I'm using, but had such problems (it wants to just "fly away", snags if I breathe on it, the two strands just won't stay together, etc.) that I'm resorting to duplicate embroidery with it. But that takes time I really don't have and makes me feel as if I'm making parts of each ball twice.

What are some other "bright and shiny" yarns that might work for these ornaments?

Thanks for any ideas.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ikkivan Posted - 09/21/2012 : 06:45:56 AM
Final follow-up thoughts: the Ice yarn arrived yesterday, I cast on last night and it is working! It is about the same weight as the sport-weight yarn I'm using, so doesn't have to be doubled, which is a plus right there. Although it is a "chain" yarn and therefore a bit splitty (hey, I knit with splitty yarns all the time and know how), it seems much smoother than the Torreador. It is sort of self-healing and if I do snag it, isn't damaged nearly to the extent of the first yarn; in other words, the "snag" slides back into place easily. It still has the metallic/lurex thread going through it and offers the glitzy look I want, but is just much easier to handle and I am ABLE TO USE IT. Yay!

Thank you again so much.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
auntlinda Posted - 09/18/2012 : 1:48:29 PM
Hope it works!!!

~Linda
ikkivan Posted - 09/17/2012 : 5:50:02 PM
P.S. Actually, now that I look closer and read the complete description, the ICE yarn may be very different from the Torreador, plus it has less yardage for the same weight, which SHOULD mean it is thicker. Ha, I just ordered it, so I'll be finding out real soon. Thanks again for the suggestion, as I probably would not have gone back there for another look.

ikkivan Posted - 09/17/2012 : 5:21:43 PM
Thank you for the suggestions. Linda, I actually did look at that yarn on ebay when I chose the Torreador, so I may go ahead and try that one, too. I'm willing to try different yarns in an attempt to find something that is halfway easy to handle. It does look as if it is made up pretty much the same as the Torreador, BUT it may be a bit heavier, which may make (I hope!) a big difference, especially if I don't need to use it double.

Have a great day, Everyone!

auntlinda Posted - 09/17/2012 : 1:53:27 PM
how about this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ICE-Yarn-knitting-supplies-viscose-chain-50gr-ball-metallic-dark-gold-sparkle-/261097593551?pt=US_Yarn&hash=item3ccaa11acf

~Linda
purlgin Posted - 09/17/2012 : 11:17:36 AM
Tilli Thomas Symphony Lace, in goldenrod, might be a possibility. It's a glowing golden yellow, but it has two strands -- one with some glitter and one with sequins -- so doubling it might be messy.
NastiJ Posted - 09/16/2012 : 11:26:27 AM
Lion still has the "Vanna Glamour" yarn:
quote:
Weight Category: 2 - Sport Weight: Fine, Sport Weight, Baby Yarn
1.75 oz./50 g (202 yd/185 m)
96% Acrylic, 4% Metallic Polyester

Gauge:
Knit: 24 stitches X 30 rows = 4 inches (10 cm) on size 5 (3.75mm) needles.
Crochet: 19 sc X 23 rows = 4 inches (10 cm) with G6 (4.25mm) hook.

Product Care Instructions: Machine wash. Initial water temperature should not exceed 40C or 105F. Dry Clean, any solvent. No bleach product may be used. A machine dryer may not be used. Item may not be smoothed or finished with an iron.

Available in 17 Colors

Nancy J.

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck
jtamsn Posted - 09/15/2012 : 4:07:16 PM
I was thinking of Lion Bran Glitterspun, but just looked on their website and unfortunately it has been discontinued.
judy

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe