Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Seeking Advice about Yarns
 The strangest yarn you have knitted with

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
minh Posted - 05/07/2012 : 8:21:33 PM
What is the most exotic or strangest yarn you have knitted with? What did you think of it?

I have knitted with yarn made of corn fiber and yarn made from milk. I made a hat with a merino/possum blend from New Zealand, it was sinfully soft and very warm. I have stainless steel yarn in my stash but haven't tried it yet.

http://minkyknits.blogspot.com
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
robinstephanie Posted - 05/17/2012 : 10:51:20 PM
These replies are awesome. I can't compete.

quote:
I got bored while in a chinese restaurant and I picked up the chop sticks and tried to knit with the long strands of carrot. I could only do a couple of stitches tho so I suppose that does not count. My 'yarn' kept breaking. Oh and my dinner companions told me to behave myself.

Grand Moogi, you crack me up. I am tempted to try this.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
NastiJ Posted - 05/17/2012 : 7:34:22 PM
I haven't done it myself (yet), but I've been intrigued by the Knit G-string made from Red Candy Laces since it was first published in Knitty's Summer 2004 issue: http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer04/PATT302calories.html

Nancy J.

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck
ikkivan Posted - 05/17/2012 : 12:59:38 PM
Although I can't see doing this myself, I remember seeing instructions in a magazine for knitting or crocheting various types of cooked pasta (spaghetti, linguini, etc.) into shapes to be hardened and painted for jewelry!

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
gael1940 Posted - 05/11/2012 : 11:52:30 AM
I was once asked to spin hair from four generations in one family and to knit it into a cap for the christening of the newest addition to the family. I spun it with the addition of some lovely merino and knitted the cap in a lacy vine pattern.
grandma tigger Posted - 05/10/2012 : 9:29:08 PM
One day when I was a boared teenager (long time ago) I used toothpicks as knitting needles and thread as yarn for a prop in a doll house. Then I took a broken hula hoop and used as a cable needle. And used long sheets of plastic 12 in wide and about 16 ft long I tied several together (used to divide house siding) This made a large lumpy door mat
Grand-moogi Posted - 05/09/2012 : 04:37:26 AM
Hey that would be great to use when knitting a jumper for a growing boy. It would just keep growing with him!

I knit a hug into every stitch
NutmegOwl Posted - 05/08/2012 : 09:35:13 AM
Yarn made from sugar cane used in a lace shawl. It behaved much like bamboo in terms of texture and drape. However, the FO has almost doubled in size and is still growing ... :(

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
Grand-moogi Posted - 05/08/2012 : 07:05:37 AM
I got bored while in a chinese restaurant and I picked up the chop sticks and tried to knit with the long strands of carrot. I could only do a couple of stitches tho so I suppose that does not count. My 'yarn' kept breaking. Oh and my dinner companions told me to behave myself.

I knit a hug into every stitch
kbshee Posted - 05/07/2012 : 9:06:51 PM
Hemp is the strangest yarn I've knitted with, strange mostly because I look at myself and say "how strange you choose to knit with this yarn which is really uncomfortable and not fun to work with."

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe