Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 Yarn that twists back on itself?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
SandyHarsh Posted - 01/09/2012 : 09:44:28 AM
Why does some sock yarn twist back on itself while you're knitting? That's so annoying! Is there anything that can be done to stop it other than just frequently suspending it and letting it untwist on it's own?
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Carol Metzger Posted - 01/19/2012 : 2:47:21 PM
Maybe a little tangental, but I feed my yarn from my left index finger. I have noticed that which way I wrap the yarn over that finger makes a difference. When my yarn feeds OVER the finger, it makes the twist of most plied yarns tighter. If I'm knitting two yarns together, wrapping to feed from UNDER the finger yields a flatter, more ribbon-like length to grab with the needle tip.

http://cfmdesigns.net/
savannagal Posted - 01/19/2012 : 11:21:53 AM
Interesting post by Techknitter. Thanks for the link. I have the same problem with twisting yarn. I use a swift that's shaped like a big X with pegs to hold the skein open in a circular-ish shape. The only time I haven't had problems with yarn twisting horribly, is when I used a single ply yarn. I thought it was my inexperienced knitting. After reading Techknitter's post, I feel somewhat better about my skills. Unfortunately, I still don't understand what to do to avoid adding twist to my yarn when I wind it. It is so frustrating and slows me down immensely having to stop frequently to unwind the yarn.
churchlady Posted - 01/19/2012 : 11:08:03 AM
I knit continental and haven't had problems with twist tightening or loosening on my yarns. Sometimes I pull from the centre of a ball or skein, usually with a piece of stocking or a yarn bra around it to control the outside. I also use a bowl sometimes if I'm knitting from the outside of a ball so that the ball bounces around like Gibson Girl's box. I must find a CD case or another spindle to use with tape yarns because the time I used a Lion Brand tape yarn for my little niece it almost drove me crazy with the twisting, and the pinning the ball, and the untwisting, and unpinning, and so forth.
Gibson Girl Posted - 01/19/2012 : 10:13:04 AM
Hmmm, conflicting info. I am working with Rowan's fine milk cotton that has a very loose twist - which gives it a nice soft hand - but it is determined to un-twist as I knit. Very irritating. I am knitting from the manufacturer's skein/ball that is placed in a plastic box large enough that it can bounce around. Nearly finished with the garment and it's lovely but it's been a tough go. Guess I'll need to test this out myself.
joyakabel@gmail.com Posted - 01/19/2012 : 07:54:22 AM
... Forgot the link... sorry.

http://techknitting.blogspot.com/2011/01/ball-winders-part-2-avoiding-yarn-twist.html

Joya
joyakabel@gmail.com Posted - 01/19/2012 : 07:51:49 AM
Hi -- here's an interesting entry from Techknitter's blog about yarn twist and ball winders. It led to an ah-ha moment for me.

Happy New Yarn! (oops... I meant "Year")

Joya

PBELKNAP Posted - 01/13/2012 : 06:56:11 AM
I find this happens with thicker yarn, too!

PAM

Twitter Name = WildKnitter

Blog: http://wildknitter.blogspot.com

If I could only do this for a living...
arlinem Posted - 01/12/2012 : 6:25:56 PM
Most commercial yarn is first spun clockwise putting twist into the plies and then they are spun counterclockwise taking some of the twist out and balancing out the twist in the individual plies. When you knit continental with a commercial yarn you are adding more twist into the yarn as you are knitting adding to the twist that is inherently there to begin with.

If you are not pulling from a center pull ball then you are adding additional twist into the yarn as it comes off the ball. Might be worth it to put the yarn up into a center pull ball right from the start.

Letting the project dangle and untwist itself is the only way to alleviate it.
SandyHarsh Posted - 01/09/2012 : 12:57:01 PM
Shoot! That's what I was afraid of! Is it something I did when I wound it or do you think the yarn was just like this to start with?
purlthis Posted - 01/09/2012 : 10:41:35 AM
Nope, that's it. It twists as you're knitting as it comes off the ball.

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
http://purledthis.blogspot.com/ UPDATED! WITH PICS!

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe