Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Cotton yarn - finishing technique

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
spinbunny Posted - 01/12/2011 : 3:35:14 PM
Help! I have finally finished a T-shirt pattern knit with Plymouth's Fantasy Naturale. What is the best way to finish off the yarn ends? My normal method of weaving in the ends doesn't seem to work well with cotton yarn.

LauraB
aka Spinbunny
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
spinbunny Posted - 01/14/2011 : 09:47:18 AM
Thank you all! Since I knit this T-shirt in the round, I don't have to do long seams, but I will certainly try all of these techniques. I can honestly say that I prefer animal fibers or acrylic to cotton. If I ever try a similar project it will be a cotton blend... NOT 100% cotton.

LauraB
aka Spinbunny
Ceil Posted - 01/13/2011 : 10:44:36 PM
I'd use a darning needle, or a chenille needle, and pass either >through< the plies instead of between, over or under them. I have three cotton market bags finished this way, and all ends are holding despite the stress of groceries carried.

Ceil
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Gibson Girl Posted - 01/13/2011 : 2:08:23 PM
I knit with mostly cotton yarns since I live in AZ. I've tried the "splitting yarn" technique and it seems to work well. I frequently split the yarn to do the stitching up - keeps seams less bulky. Sometimes I daub a little fray check if I think it might unravel.
lacylaine Posted - 01/12/2011 : 6:19:56 PM
Cotton, especially mercerized cotton, is a real pain. Have you tried running the tails up through the seam? Or did you knit it in the round?

Possibly, you could split the yarn into different plies (at least two) and weave them into the back in different directions. I'm afraid I avoid 100% cotton as much as possible, except for dish cloths.

Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

2010 FO: two pair felted clogs, two chemo caps for Mom 2011 FO: BYOB (market bag), Hedgerow Mitts, pair of wristers/sweatbands

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe